The Feasts and Festivals of the Messiah
Insights into the Israelite Feasts and How They Pertain to Us Today.
Presented by Sister Lynda Cherry Thursday March 29 2018
Our Special Evening:
- 6 PM: Israeli/Jewish dance instruction; Liz Graden returns. Sample the Steps and Music.
- Special attractions (they continue while we are eating)
- The Geneology Corner of previous years returns with Sister Mary Kozy, a well qualified genealogist and DNA lecturer from Jewish Gen WA. And we may be honored with an expert Jewish genealogist from Family Search.
- Daniel Smith and his ancient priesthood attire presentation.
- Jewish cultural music led by Julie Gardner.
- About 6:30 PM: Noshing at about 6:30 PM. Jewish/American variety pot luck while we kibitz with old and new friends. (See recipes)
- About 7:15 PM: Our special presentation by Sister Cherry.
- At the end, testimonies will be invited.
- Communal cleanup and put away. We must be out by 9:45 PM.
Bring food for the Potluck ! Jewish food if you are inclined... Recipes...:
Of course you don't have to bring Jewish food - or any at all - we just want you to come, feel the love, and get the inspiration - but if you want to try it.... Recipes for Jewish food
Please come ready to help make the evening run smoothly... How to help...
We'll need help in setting up tables, chairs, food in a hurry. Most of the board will be doing specifics as well as greeting people.
If some of you will be table helpers (making sure everpyone has water, etc.) we'd be thankful.
After we nosh - before the talk - we must clear the tables in a hurry. Oh yes, there is the garbage. Please be ready to help with all aspect of that.
At the end, we must have help putting away tables, chairs, getting things back to the appropriate (marked) rooms and locations. Finally, cleaning up in respect for the use of the building!!
The Inspirational Presentation
Lynda will discuss the seven Holy Temple Feasts and Festivals ordained at Sinai under the Law. These instructions regarding the Feasts were given to the whole House of Israel, and prophecy states that they will be kept in the Millennium.
- What do the Feasts and Festivals teach us about the First and Second Comings of the Messiah?
- Are the Feasts and Festivals relevant to us today? Is there evidence of them in LDS culture?
- There is evidence that King Benjamin and Alma the Younger followed the ritual of the Feast of Tabernacles and the Feast of the Passover in the Book of Mormon. What can we learn about covenant renewal from these Feasts?
- How does understanding the ritual of the ancient Feasts and Festivals enrich our understanding of the temple today?
Did you know: Elijah appeared, as promised, on a Passover, to restore the keys of the gathering of Israel and the sealing of families to Israel. And Moroni directed Joseph Smith to remove the plates that would be translated as the Book of Mormon on the Feast of Trumpets (Rosh Hashanah).
Who Do the Seven Holy Feast Days Pertain to?
As recorded in Leviticus 23, the Lord gave Moses instruction for seven holy "feast days": three in the spring, beginning with the Passover (Pesach), three at the end of the harvest in the fall, culminating with the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot), and one in the middle, Pentecost (Shavuot).
Many mistakenly believe that these holy feasts and festivals pertain only to the Jewish people and to the ancient temple in Jerusalem. However, the commandments and details pertaining to the feasts were given to the whole house of Israel. Prophets who saw the Millennial day prophesied that all nations would participate in Passover and Feast of Tabernacles celebrations (see Zech. 14:16; Ezek. 45).
About Sister Cherry
Sister Cherry was converted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in her youth, and was particularly drawn to the Church's teachings about covenants and temples. She has a deep understanding and love for the restored Gospel, and for Judaism and for its relevance to us today as a foundation for LDS practices and beliefs.
She was a CES teacher for over 12 years, and has been teaching adult education classes in the region for years. Lynda presented classes at BYU Education Week on the Feasts and Festivals, ancient temple practices, and divine symbolism. She presented at firesides and conferences for several Northwest stakes, and taught Gospel Doctrine for over 15 years. She is working on three important research volumes.
She brings to us great passion about UNITING Israel, and imparts a deepened understanding, an increased testimony and a passion for the gospel in a holistic sense.
Please find the Donate button on the front page; your contribution helps.