Dr. Stephen D. Ricks:
Ancient Temple Spiritual Insights
The gathering will be Thursday October 4 2018.
Pioneer Stake Center, 1401 W 700 S, Salt Lake City, UT
Our Special Evening Agenda:
- 6 PM: Israeli/Jewish dance instructionSample the Steps and Music.
- We hope for return of Geneology Corner, and of Daniel Smith's display
- Jewish cultural music led by Julie Gardner.
- Noshing at about 6:30 PM. Jewish/American variety pot luck while we kibitz with old and new friends. (See recipes)
- About 7:15 PM: The special presentation - Inspiration about the connection between Judaism the foundation and Mormonism the continuation.
- At the end, testimonies will be invited.
- Communal cleanup and put away. We must be out by 9:45 PM.
Bring food for the Potluck ! Jewish food if you are inclined... Recipes...:
Of course you don't have to bring Jewish food - or any at all - we just want you to come, feel the love, and get the inspiration - but if you want to try it.... Recipes for Jewish food
Please come ready to help make the evening run smoothly... How to help...
We'll need help in setting up tables, chairs, food in a hurry. Most of the board will be doing specifics as well as greeting people.
If you will be table helpers (making sure everyone has water, etc.) we'd be thankful.
After we nosh - before the talk - we must clear the tables in a hurry. Then at the end, please help put away tables, chairs, getting things back to the appropriate (marked) rooms and locations, and finally, cleaning up in respect for the use of the building!!
By examining aspects of the ancient temples of Israel and relevant Psalms, Dr. Ricks will a open greater insight into the temple on a more spiritual level.
This will add to your understanding and appreciation of current temples, and you will see and appreciate the connection from Judaism and restoration of spiritual aspects of temple worship. You will see the remarkable parallels between ancient temple worship and the doctrines and ordinances restored by Joseph Smith.
The Psalms are a mirror of the ancient Israelite religion. Creation is central to the worship of ancient temples and other sacred places. “Ancient temples,” writes Hugh Nibley, “rehearsed the story of the creation, and the establishment of mankind and the royal government of God upon this earth.” The Psalms reflect an interest in 1) temple; 2) kingship (of God and man); 3) Messiah; 4) creation; and 5) priesthood. Psalm 24 provides a brief compass, a wonderful example of those themes in the Psalms.
Daniel Smith will display many artifacts of the ancient times, including his replica of the clothing of the ancient high priest. The outfit was hand-loomed, and includes the breastplate with 12 engraved stones, the ephod, the golden crown, and other pieces of clothing as described in Exodus 28. The replica is one of only a handful in the United States that is actually hand-loomed. Brother Smith has worked with the BYU department which has created what is said to be the most accurate replica of Solomon''s temple.
Audiences have enjoyed his many firesides on those subjects.
Testimony and Summary of Background
This is a link to Dr. Rick's testimony as recorded on FairMormon: https://www.fairmormon.org/testimonies/scholars/stephen-d-ricks.
Dr. Stephen D Ricks is a professor of Hebrew at Brigham Young University. He has been involved in promoting positive relations between the LDS Church and Jewish groups. He has been author, coauthor, contributor or editor of Many several books and articles. He co-authored with LeGrand Baker on the book which LeGrand presented at B'nai in 1998: ""Who Shall Ascend Into the Hill of the Lord? The Psalms in Israel''s Temple Worship In the Old Testament and in the Book of Mormon".
Academic Background, Titles Relevant to this Discussion
From 1988 to 1996 Ricks was the president, and then Chairman of the board, of the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies (FARMS). He was the founding editor of the Journal of Book of Mormon Studies.
There is a long list of his writings at https://www.librarything.com/author/ricksstephend. Here are some of the most relevant.
• Ancient Temple Worship - Proceedings of the Expound Symposium - The Temple... (Editor; Contributor)
• The Temple in Time & Eternity (Temples Through the Ages, No. 2) (Editor; Introduction; Contributor)
• The Temple: Ancient and Restored
• Temples of the Ancient World: Ritual and Symbolism (Contributor)
• Hagion Temenos II: Essays on Temples and the Sacred in the Ancient.
• The Old Testament and the Latter-day Saints: The 14th Annual Sidney B.... (Contributor)
• A Bibliography on Temples of the Ancient Near East and Mediterranean... (Author)
• King Benjamin's Speech: "That Ye May Learn Wisdom" (Editor; Introduction; Contributor)
• King Benjamin's Speech Made Simple (Editor)
Please find the Donate button on the front page; your contribution helps.